If you are looking for the answer to how to do hanging indent on Google Docs, do read this article to learn about:
- Why do you need indent on Google Docs?
- How to do hanging indent on google docs?
- How can you remove the indent?
- Shortcuts for achieving Hanging Indent.
Why do you need indent on Google Docs?
While the need for indent is multiple, a few of the explainable and must points are:
- To make it easier and more understandable to the readers.
- To fulfill the need for extra space for margins.
- To make the notes more readable and attractive.
- To make the notes well-formatted and look legible.
How to do hanging indent on google docs?
The indent on any line can be achieved in two ways:
- Hanging indent using the “Ruler tool”
- Hanging indent using the “Align and Intend” option
Hanging indent using the “Ruler tool”
It is achieved with the following steps:
- Open Google Docs and sign in with an account.
- Enable the “show ruler option” from the view option in the toolbar.
- Ruler appears on the margin of Google Docs with the symbol ‘▃’ as the first line indent and ‘▼’ as the left indent.
- To indent any particular line, highlight it, move the ruler toward the right about half an inch or up to the amount of space you require, and move the left indent marker to the initial position.
- In this way, you can achieve the indent on Google Docs.
Hanging indent using the “Align and Intend” option
To achieve the hanging indent using align and intend method follow the steps below:
- Open Google Docs and sign in.
- Highlight the line you want to indent.
- Click the Format tab on the toolbar and select “Align and Intend.”
- Select the “indentation options” from the drop-down; a window named “indentation option” appears to select the “hanging” from the drop-down of “special indent.”
- Insert the desired indentation space and click apply.
In this way, you can obtain the indent using align and indent method.
How can you remove the indent?
For Ruler tool
You can simply remove the indent by moving the ruler to the previous place.
For Align and Indent
To remove the indent, follow the steps below:
- Open Google Docs; highlight the line from which you want to remove the indent.
- Select from the toolbar Format<Align and Indent<Indentation Option.
- From the “Indentation Option” window, select a special indent and set it to none.
This will remove the indent from your desired line in Google Docs.
Shortcuts for achieving Hanging Indent
Follow the below steps to achieve the indent on the desired line:
- Place the cursor on the text or line where you want to indent.
- Press “Shift+Enter,” then click “TAB” on the keyboard.
You can also follow the below keyboard shortcut to achieve the indent:
- Select the text or paragraph you want to indent.
- Press “Ctrl+]” to increase the indent.
- Press “Ctrl+[” to decrease the indent.
For more clarification watch the short video below:
Is there any difference in indentation if I go with shortcuts?
Not really; you can go with whichever method you feel comfortable with. The lengthy processes are the professional or the proper and explainable ways for indentation.
Does Google Docs have a hanging indent?
Yes, it does have a hanging indent. You can achieve it by any of the explained methods, i.e., Ruler or Align and Indent method. Also, you can use the keyboard shortcuts “Ctrl+]” to increase the indent and “Ctrl+[” to decrease the indent.
How can I get an indent on the first line?
You can get an indent on the first line using the same methods as used for the hanging indent, i.e., Ruler method, Align and Indent method, and the keyboard shortcuts “Ctrl+]” to increase the indent and “Ctrl+[” to decrease the indent.
I hope these methods and shortcuts will be helpful to clear the doubts and answer the questions. How to do hanging indent on Google Docs?
If you have any doubts related to Google Docs, do visit our articles mentioned below, if they could be of any help.